Wednesday 7 October 2009

Beyond PowerPoint

Wed 26th May : 9:00-12:15 ... 1:45-5:00 (full day session)
Beyond PowerPoint


If students are bored with ppt then these alternatives will stimulate.
Are you or your students becoming bored using PowerPoint as the main tool for producing presentations ... are you or your students suffering from "Death by PowerPoint" or "PowerPointlessness"? .... then this session is designed specifically for you (or your students).

We will look at some of the alternatives for spicing up presentations and making them more exciting ... not only using software but also web 2.0 online applications.

The alternatives chosen are mainly free, can be learnt in just a few minutes by teachers with very little experience and make use of the slides you have already produced in your old PowerPoints.

We will also look at ways in which students can build and share their presentations collaboratively. In addition you will be shown where to find free (legal) digital resources for presentations (images, videos and sound files) .... and clarify how to copyright your own resources.
Please note that this is NOT a workshop about PowerPoint although we will be spending time at the beginning covering some of the mistakes students make when presenting and also ensuring we all have at least the basic skills of reducing file sizes and exporting slides.

Please bring a simple PowerPoint presentation with you to this session .... consisting of about 6 slides.







Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 19 May 2010 at 17:01 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Chris
My name is Jenny Scheffers and I'm the fulltime Teacher Librarian at Caddies Creek PS in western Sydney. We are a very large primary school with just over 900 students.

I hope to learn ways of refining students' (and my own!) PowerPoint presentations. I'm also very keen to learn more about useful Web 2.0 tools which can be used for students' presentations.

I currently manage our school library blog, which showcases students' outstanding library research. The blog was only set up late last year and is still a "work in progress".

The blog address is:
http://ccpslibrary.edublogs.org/

I look forward to meeting you and learning heaps of new presentation ideas and skills!
Cheers
Jenny

 
At 23 May 2010 at 17:45 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Chris,
Well I don't prepare many pps myself but I have sat through endless presentations that I believe serve very little purpose or at best could be greatly inproved.
I guess, in a way, I am envious of students who spend so much time with "gimmicks" while missing the sustance of the task.Having said this though,I acknowledge I am not very savy with all the technology but can see the potential of web 2.o tools.Margaret

 
At 23 May 2010 at 19:20 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Chris,

My name is Easter Tang and I am the Technology Librarian (a newly created post) of a private girls school. We use Ppt all the time in our library for library promotion (which we work with library aides)and introducing students to various formats of library resources. I am also involved in revamping our library page. I hope to learn heaps of skills and tips to jazz up my Ppt presentation skills.

 
At 24 May 2010 at 21:01 , Anonymous Carmel tapley said...

Hi Chris

I am a secondary Education officer working with teachers. Too many, as you say, use death by pp. I want to be able to give teachers and myself a new lease in this area of presentation.

See you tomorrow

Carmel

 
At 25 May 2010 at 16:54 , Blogger Shamblesguru said...

The backchannel tool lives at http://piratepad.net/beyondpowerpoint

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home